Lifeboat was a year-long studio residency and peer mentoring and career development award for MA postgraduates from University of the Arts London.
The Lifeboat award provided:
- A fully funded shared studio split between four selected artists for a year, from February 2018 – February 2019 in ACAVA’s Limehouse Studios
- A shared £1,800 award to establish a peer mentoring group with their selected studio mates and an extended network of up to 8 other artists
- X 6 one to one mentoring sessions over the course of the year with a respected artist, gallerist or other art world professional
- Promotion of activities through Artquest and partners’ newsletters and social media channels
These studio artists worked with an extended peer mentoring group of practitioners, meeting monthly to give support and critical feedback on each others practices. The artists participating in this group are Daria Blum, Sean Burns, Krasimira Butseva, Sarah Carne, Andrew Rickett, Madeleine Lohrum, Mark Goldby and Matthew Nightingale. Since the end of the award this group of artists have continued meeting under the name BLUNT
An event took place to mark the end of the 2018 Lifeboat residency on Tuesday 26th March at London College of Communication. The document below presents the evening proceedings.
In previous years the Lifeboat award provided a shared studio and a series of studio visits/group crits from curators and gallerists coordinated by a studio mentor. You can read about the experiences of past Life Boat awardees here.
2016: Awarded artists were Rosemary Cronin, Libby Heaney, Roshana Rubin Mayhew, Verity Slade. The studio mentor was curator Lucy Day who arranged visits from curator/gallerists Cathy Lomax and Caroll Fletcher. In 2016 the award was generously supported by UAL’s Postgraduate Community.
You can read an interview with Rosmary Cronin here and listen to Roshana Rubin Mayhew and Vertiy Slade talk about their experiences below:
2014: Selected artists were Alex Burgess, Laura Fowle, Georgia Gendall, Sarah Roberts. The studio mentor was Ceri Hand who organised studio visits from independent curator Ben Borthwick, curator and writer George Vasey and curator, writer and editor Francesca Gavin.
2013: Artists Brigitte Mierau, Rebecca Moss, Liam Magee, Joe Twinn were selected for the award. Their studio mentor was Louisa Martin who brought in Attilia Fattori Franchini, Lucy Day and Robin Klassnik of Matts Gallery.
2012: Conall McAteer, Henk Geiskens, Isabelle Gressell, Michael McManus were selected for the award. The studio mentor this year was Sarah Rowles who arranged visits from Soraya Rodrigues and Matt Roberts.
To be eligible to apply for this residency artists must
- Have an fine art based practice working in any media
- Have completed an MA (or MFA) course at one of UAL’s colleges in 2017
- Not be enrolled in a full or part time course of study at any level during the course of the residency
- Have permission to live and work in the UK (we are unable to support visa applications)